Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Venice part 2

ok, I think the Travel  or Discovery Channel should pick us up as a new TV show. Traveling for Baby Boomers or something like that. Maybe if I post it they will come... (ha)
It is 50 degrees today, thankfully not raining and no wind blowing; I wound up buying a knit hat to stay warm. They say it is below freezing in Paris and London. Forecast says 56 in Milan tomorrow.
We were NOT awakened by sirens this morning as we were yesterday; we found out later that the sirens mean flooding, seems Venice floods 100 times a year on average and yesterday was one of those days. You will see when we can get to a computer that will allow us to post pictures.  I guess most of you know there are no cars, motorcylces or bicycles in Venice because of all the bridges(and canals). I cannot figure out what people do when they are old or disabled.  Everyone seems to have a dog that they walk. Those dogs, I guess, will never know what grass looks or feels like because there is none. We walked all over this morning and I guess I've seen all of Venice I need to. Beautiful glass of course and lace but it's expensive and just ok for me.
Note: you read online and other places tipping is not expected in Italy. That is because so many restaurants charge a "cover" charge per person. Last night we ate a place that charged a cover charge AND 10% service fee!!!! Highway robbery!
We have agreeed we felt we were most in Italy when we were in Calabria because the people there have not been tarnished  and made indifferent by masses of tourists. I hope to go back there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment